Seventh Decade of Great Taste
The original Golden Gate Restaurant was established in 1954 by George Fong, near the four-corners in downtown Whitby, on Brock Street at Dundas.
Through hard work and commitment, George created a legacy that still exists today. His three sons, Danny, Ming, and Bill, along with his daughter-in-law, Rebecca, followed George’s footsteps and became the next generation owner-managers. The four of them were life-long dedicated restaurateurs.
In 1989, they established the Golden Gate Buffet at the Five Points Mall in Oshawa, at Taunton and Ritson Roads. The Restaurant grew in popularity and became a favourite in the community. The Golden Gate Buffet received numerous Readers Choice Awards for its excellence.
In 2009, Ming Fong was the last brother to finally retire. He worked well into his seventies because of his great passion for the business.
In mid-2017, the lease for Golden Gate Buffet was terminated by landlord for demolition of Five Points Mall, to revert to an open-air shopping centre.
Nine months later, in May 2018, the current Golden Gate Eatery & Takeout launched with a two-in-one restaurant format, while keeping its same signature great taste.
Located at Kingsway Village Shopping Centre, King Street East and Townline Road, Golden Gate remains family-owned, managed by third-successive owner Pearl Chen-Lem, assisted by Rebecca Fong.
Pearl and Rebecca carry on the vision of what made Golden Gate a great restaurant, now in its seventh decades. They treat their team and customers alike, “Just Like Family”.
Their team look forward to serving you at their Eatery and Takeout for the next seventy years!